The Board of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum voted last week to charge admission to the museum, with the dollar amount expected to be $20-$25, upsetting some victims’ family members.
By Corky Siemaszko
The museum in the crucible of America’s pain will be charging admission.
People making the pilgrimage to Ground Zero will have to pony up anywhere from $20 to $25 to descend into the new subterranean museum when it finally opens next year.
And, unlike some other museums in the city, the National September 11 Memorial & Museum at Ground Zero will charge a mandatory fee — not just a suggested donation — for the privilege.
“We’re still in the process of considering how much, but it will be in the range of $20 to $25,” Anthony Guido, a spokesman for the museum said Friday. “It will be a set fee.”
Entrance to the memorial itself — which includes the picturesque reflection pools marking the footprints of the twin towers — will continue to be free, though a $2 service fee for online reservations was recently put in place.
But word of the planned museum entrance fee outraged some relatives of the roughly 3,000 people slain on 9/11.
“It’s ridiculous,” said retired FDNY Deputy Chief Jim Riches of Dyker Heights, Brooklyn, who lost his firefighter son Jimmy. “We asked for a memorial and they’ve turned this into a P.T. Barnum production. These people are trying to make money off the worst day in American history.”